Editors are crucial to great writing. This hands-on workshop will introduce easy-to-use tools and techniques to help you take ordinary writing to the next level. It will give you the ability to polish text until it shines, producing writing that is professional and meets your readers’ needs.
You will work in groups and take part in discussions and interactive exercises. You will also edit texts and receive feedback from your trainer and other participants on your strengths and areas for improvement.
Who should attend?
Staff who are responsible for editing company documents and publications.
- Use a process to edit more confidently and efficiently
- Produce higher quality writing
- Develop better relationships with your colleagues and readers
Introduction and Overview
- An editor’s role and responsibilities
- What makes good writing?
- An editing process
Edit for Content
- Making writing reader-focused
- Deciding on the best structure
- Keeping a text on topic
Edit for Language
- Maintaining a consistent style
- Using the right tone
- Selecting the right words
Edit for Grammar
- Identifying common mistakes
- Following the ‘rules’
- Choosing tenses
- Mastering punctuation
Edit for Appearance
- Perfecting the format
- Including headings
- Writing good headlines
- Compare style guides
- Discovering online resources
- Create a personal toolkit
|Public Training Dates 2018|
|March 5-6||May 14-15||July 5-6|
|September 24-25||November 26-27|
Length: 2 days
Maximum group size: 16
Course Fees: $908.43 (including GST)