What’s the difference between Singapore colloquial English (Singlish) and Standard English? When should you use which? Why should you switch in different situations? This revealing workshop gives you the answers.
This interactive workshop is designed for anyone who is already confident in Singlish and Standard English as well as those new to Singapore. Is it particularly useful in helping Singaporeans switch to Standard English in situations that require it. You will take part in role-plays, discussions, puzzles, quizzes and games as well as listening to dialogues.
Who should attend?
Anyone who wants to be able to switch between Singlish and Standard English.
• Be able to differentiate between Singlish and Standard English
• Use Standard English in situations that require it
• Communicate more effectively in a global environment
• Be more aware of when it is appropriate to use Singlish and when to switch to Standard English
• Identify differences between Singlish and Standard English
• Practise switching between Singlish and Standard English
• What is Singlish?
• Recognising Singlish as a way of communicating with Singaporeans
• Appropriate situations to use Singlish
Singlish or Standard English?
• Common words and phrases
• Sentence construction
• Question forms
Switching between Singlish and Standard English
• Direct or indirect?
• Switching practice
|Public Training Dates 2016|
|March 9||June 8||September 21||November 2|
|Public Training Dates 2017|
|March 15||June 21||September 13||November 15|
Length: 1 day, 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
Maximum group size: 16
Course Fees: $636.65 (including GST)