This practical workshop asks participants to reflect on their own values and behaviours and consider how these may impact their working relationships with people from other cultures. It also introduces a range of tools and techniques to enable participatns to better understand how people from other cultures prefer to work. Your trainer will take you through a range of techniques and tools you can use immediately to enhance relationships, build rapport and communicate with confidence across culture.
Who should attend?
Anyone who needs to work with internal and external customers from different cultures.
After this workshop you will be better able to:
- Explain cultural differences and the reasons for them
- Build relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Communicate with greater confidence across cultures
You can expect to:
- Describe what culture is and how it influences what happens in the workplace
- Use generalisations about cultural difference in a thoughtful way
- Identify your professional strengths and areas for improvement in intercultural fluency
- Use a range of intercultural fluency tools to better understand difference and similarities along with cultural preferences
Module 1 - The Foundations
- Who are you?
- What is culture?
- What do you bring to work?
- Intercultural fluency - a learning journey
- Preparing to interact with people from different cultures
- Are generalisations useful?
- The influence of organisational culture
- "Cultural islands" at work
Module 2 - Building rapport across cultures
- Getting off on the right foot
- First impressions
- Getting off on the wrong foot
- How not to build rapport
- Active listening in new cultural situations
- Questioning, paraphrasing and empathy
- Observe and adapt
- How can i improve?
Module 3 - Communicating across cultures
- Cultural influences on communication
- Intercultural meetings
- Contrasting characteristics
- Your advice - successful intercultural meetings
- Intercultural conversations and presentations
- Four communication styles
- Adapting to different listening styles
- Observe and adapt - case studies
- The impact of words
- A frustrating conversation
- Your intercultural communication case study
- Your learning journey
- How can I improve?
|Public Training Dates 2016|
|February 15-16||May 12-13||August 25-26||November 7-8|
|Public Training Dates 2017|
|January 26-27||March 23-24|
Length: 2 days, 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
Maximum group size: 16
Course Fees: $908.43 (including GST)