This focused workshop helps you with typical technical writing problems: getting thoughts onto paper, explaining complex information in laypersons’ terms and writing simple and effective processes and instructions.
You will learn how to structure your test and lab reports using the tried and tested IMRaD formula. You will also take part in a fun experiment using household materials which will form a project running through the workshop.
Who should attend?
Anyone in a technical profession who needs to write documents, including IT staff and engineers.
- Translate complex ideas into clear, logical and technically accurate documents
- Produce technical information for non-specialist audiences
- Help your readers to take action or make decisions effectively
Understanding your Reader
- Understanding different audiences
- Building information about your readers
- Focusing on your readers’ needs
- Using a reader analysis chart
- Generating content
Processes and Instructions
- Writing instructions
- Describing a piece of equipment
- Describing a process
Test and Lab Reports
- Purpose and structure
- Titles and abstracts
- Clarity and conciseness
- Using articles
- Technical language
- Giving definitions
- An editing process
|Public Training Dates 2017|
|Public Training Dates 2018|
|January 11-12||March 22-23||May 3-4|
|July 19-20||September 27-28||November 1-2|
Length: 2 days
Maxium class size: 16
Cost: $908.43 (including GST)