The Pre-departure Briefing is an annual event organised by the British Council in order to provide essential information to all students who have received an offer from UK institutions for further studies.
Representatives from the British Council, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), the UK Singapore Students' Council (UKSSC), Singapore Global Network (SGN) and HSBC shared information on:
- preparation for travel, including finances, bank accounts and insurance matters
- the visa application process
- what to expect when you arrive in the UK
- life as a student in the UK
- connecting with fellow Singaporeans in the UK, on and off campus
Here is a letter from Michelle Donelan MP, Minister of State for Universities, UK
- Covid-19 vaccine for international students: The Covid-19 vaccine is available to international students in the UK. Anybody aged 18 or over in the UK is eligible for the Covid-19 vaccination for free, regardless of their nationality or immigration status. Visit the GOV.UK website for all the latest information.
- The Graduate Route: The UK government has announced that international students will be eligible to apply for the Graduate Route (two year post-study visa) if they arrive in the UK by 27 September 2021. The latest guidance is also on the Study UK website.
Live Webinar: Pre-departure Briefing for UK-bound students
Date: Friday 16 July 2021
If you missed this session, you can still receive a pre-departure pack by writing to email@example.com.
- The NHS
The UK's NHS (National Health Service) is one of the world’s most advanced healthcare systems, offering safe and modern treatment and is available to all international students. As part of your student visa application, you will be paying for the Immigration Health Surcharge. This will give you access to NHS services without further charges (subject to a few exceptions). Find out more about this here.
- UK Border Control
Ensure that you are aware of the latest Covid-19 measures that have been put in place by the UK government, when you make your departure plans. Find out more about arrival procedures and Covid-19 tests here.