Vocabulary teaching is the heart of any curriculum. In a foreign language classroom, students constantly encounter unknown words as well as search for words to express themselves. in the primary and secondary classroom, range of vocabulary is one of the key indicators of overall academic success. In the subject classroom, students need to understand low frequency words that they don't encounter outside of those subject areas. A solid vocabulary improves reading comprehension, writing ability and speaking fluency-the better a student's vocabulary, the better able they do to get their point across accurately, articulately and concisely. However, vocabulary doesn't develop without explicit instruction.
Find the answers to these and much more on our 10-hour ground-breaking course.
Level: Specialist module
In this module, you will cover the following topics:
- What it means to know a word
- How to effectively acquire vocabulary
- How to plan robust vocabulary lessons through explicit teaching and thought provoking follow up
- How students move words from their passive to active vocabulary and use new words in spoken and written language
- How a lack of vocabulary impacts reading comprehension, writing skills and subject area understanding as well as overall academic success
- Frameworks and strategies for effective, rich vocabulary instruction
By the end of this module you will have:
- understood key issues when teaching vocabulary to learners of all ages
- discovered how words work
- understood how we learn and store vocabulary in the long term
- mastered vocabulary learning strategies to pass on to your students
- demonstrated how to plan effective vocabulary lessons