If you're looking for a flexible pathway to an internationally recognised qualification in teaching English as a second language, then CELTA Online is right for you.
This blended course from Cambridge Assessment English (part of the University of Cambridge), combines online study with face-to-face teaching practice, and leads to the same international qualification as the face-to-face CELTA. Previous English language teaching experience is not necessary to attend this course.
How is it delivered?
This is a 12-week blended course, which involves both online and face-to-face components. The face-to-face portion is conducted in a 12-day block (excluding weekends).
In your online study you will:
- access study modules covering all aspects of English language teaching
- learn through interactive tasks, forum discussions and live online sessions
- work with a dedicated Online Course Tutor who facilitates activities, comments and gives feedback, and provides you with individual reports and tutorials
- complete video observations of experienced teachers at work
- submit four assessed assignments (750-1000 words each)
In your face-to-face teaching practice you will:
- work collaboratively within a small teaching team
- develop your lesson planning skills through guided support
- complete six hours of assessed teaching practice at two different levels
- get constructive feedback from experienced CELTA tutors and from your peers
- observe experienced teachers ‘live’ and learn through peer observation
Following the CELTA Syllabus, you will work through online tasks relating to:
- Learners and teachers, teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
In addition, you will complete four written assignments on different topics:
- Adult learners and learning contexts
- The language system of English
- Language skills
- Reflection on classroom teaching
You must also complete:
- six hours of individual, assessed teaching practice, supported by guided lesson planning and feedback
- six hours of observations of experienced teachers
Upon successfully completing this course, you will have:
An internationally recognised qualification for English language teaching awarded by Cambridge Assessment English.