Understand how to make the most of life and university study in the UK.
The prestige of a UK university education attracts students from all over the world. However, research shows that transition to UK study is not always easy. Many feel challenged by an unfamiliar educational system and cultural differences.
This course will give you all the help you need to study and thrive in the UK. You’ll become familiar with how higher education courses are structured, gaining a clear understanding of what to expect. You’ll also develop self-study skills, while getting a taste of life in the UK.
Watch these trailers to find out what you will learn in week 1, week 2 and week 3 of the course.
What topics will you cover?
- Characteristic features of higher education in the UK: active engagement, critical thinking, evidence-based argument, independent study, academic integrity
- Study modes: lectures, seminars, tutorials, student presentations, group assignments, their roles and functions
- The language skills you need to achieve success (academic writing, reading, listening and note-taking, speaking)
- Understanding assessment in higher education
- Support services available to students; library, counselling etc.
- Practical issues round living as a student in the UK: accommodation, making friends, what to bring, things you need to do on arrival
What you will achieve?
- Demonstrate an understanding of UK academic culture and the engagement expected of you
- Reflect on the language knowledge and academic skills you need to achieve success
- Explore the way teaching and learning is organised in UK higher education and its key terminology
- Assess the resources that are available to you to support your learning
- Reflect on the positive contribution you will make to UK academic life through the diversity of perspectives you bring
- Develop the confidence you need to feel prepared for study in the UK
Who is the course for?
This course would be of immense benefit to international students who have been accepted to study at a UK university.
Join the 40,000 students enrolled on this course!
When would you like to start?
This couse is available for a limited time only.
You can start straight away and learn at your own pace.
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
MOOCs are free online courses that is available to anyone. They are a flexible and affordable way to learn new skills.