Are you a woman with a bachelor’s degree in a STEM subject and passionate about your study? Apply to receive a scholarship to study for a master's degree in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics programme at a leading UK university.
We are looking for women with STEM backgrounds who can demonstrate their need for financial support and who wish to inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in STEM. We have two scholarships for these inspiring women:
- For the first time, the UK Government, through the UK Mission to ASEAN, with the ASEAN secretariat, has launched the ASEAN – UK SAGE Women in STEM Scholarships to address gender disparities in digital skills and employment across ASEAN countries and Timor-Leste. The funding provided by the UK's Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) through ASEAN – UK Supporting the Advancement of Girls’ Education (SAGE) Programme is available to eligible women in ASEAN member states and Timor Leste. Find out more about the scholarships here.
- British Council has launched our global Women in STEM scholarship programme in partnership with UK universities. This is the fourth year that the scholarship has been launched for women from Singapore. Find out more about the scholarships here.
Why a scholarship programme?
According to data from the UN Scientific Education and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), less than 30 per cent of the world’s researchers are women and only 30 percent of female students select STEM-related fields in higher education.
Globally, female students’ enrolment is particularly low in Information and Communications Technology (three per cent), natural science, mathematics and statistics (five per cent), and engineering, manufacturing and construction (eight per cent).
Educating, training, and hiring more women in STEM can lead to better scientific and financial outcomes, increasing diversity in the workforce, bringing variety in perspectives and ideas and giving organisations a competitive edge.
* Full eligibility criteria are available below in the documents section.
We are looking for women and people who identify as women who:
- can take up a course of study in the UK for the academic year from September/October 2024–2025.
- can demonstrate a need for financial support.
- have an undergraduate degree that will enable them to gain access onto one of the pre-selected postgraduate courses at a UK university (for master’s level).
- can attain the level of English required for postgraduate study at a UK university.
- are active in the field with work experience or a proven interest in their subject area.
- are passionate about their course of study and are willing to engage as committed British Council scholarship alumni.
You are not eligible for a Scholarships for Women in STEM if you:
- Hold dual British citizenship.
- Are an employee, a former employee, or relative (*) of an employee of His Majesty’s Government (including British Embassies/High Commissions; the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy; Department for International Trade; the Ministry of Defence; and the Home Office).
- Are an employee, a former employee, or relative (*) of an employee of the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM – eligible countries.
(*): Relatives are defined as parents or stepparents, siblings or stepsiblings, children or stepchildren, spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner (where the couple have been in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least two years).
- Are currently in receipt of financial support or funding towards your study programme in the UK from any other source.
- Have previously studied in the UK with funding from a UK government-funded scholarship or a UK institutional scholarship/financial bursary.
What does the scholarship include?
In addition to the prestige of studying at a renowned UK university, the scholarship covers:
- Full tuition fees
- Living stipend
- Travel costs
- Visa and health coverage fees
- Refund of an IELTS English language test, if needed.
How to apply
- Applications should be made directly to the participating universities.
- Please click on the links below for your chosen institution.
- Please check the application requirements on each university website where you may also start your application.
- You can make more than one application, but you will need to apply through each institution separately.
Deadlines for applications for master’s scholarships: These vary depending on the institution. Please check the deadlines with your chosen institution carefully to avoid any disappointment.
Please ensure you check and meet all the eligibility requirements before applying.
After applying, you will next hear directly from the university about the status of your application.