The classes are part of a training programme for qualifying teachers studying on the CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English Language Teaching to Adults) course. The Teacher Development Centre at the British Council in Singapore trains a selected group of teachers under this programme every term. The classes are supervised by qualified Cambridge tutors, and form part of the final assessment for the new teachers.
Who can apply?
- Foreigners and Singaporeans who wish to improve their English language skills. Your current English level should be post Beginner.
- If you are a Permanent Resident or hold a Singaporean NRIC, employment pass, work permit, dependant’s pass, social visit pass, you can apply for the Teaching Practice classes. Your pass must extend to at least 1 day beyond the final day of the class.
- We do not accept Study Mamas (parents accompanying a child studying in Singapore), Student Pass and VP (Visit Pass: Short-Term or Long-Term) holders for the free classes.
Course levels and dates
- Teaching Practice Free Classes are offered several times in a year. The sessions are usually twice a week (Part-time) for 5 or 10 weeks or 5-days a week (Full-time) for 2 or 4 weeks between 9.00am to 11.00am/11.15am.
- You may choose to register into any ONE of the intake based on the recommended level given to you.
- Priority will be given to NEW Students. Existing Students will be contacted 2 weeks prior to the start of class should there be availabilty.
FREE! You will have to attend the full course (consisting of 10 or 20 lessons depending on the option you have chosen) and commit to regular class attendance. There is an attendance deposit of S$200 payable by cash or NETS only. This will be refunded if you attend at least 80% of the classes you register for.
Trainee teachers (various nationalities) supervised by British Council Teacher Trainers.
How can you apply?
As registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, we encourage you to register early to secure your preferred test slot. Please complete the online form here.
(Toa Payoh Centre)
480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh
#09-01 HDB Hub East Wing