What is SMART English Junior?
SMART English Junior: Certificate in Intensive English is an intensive English course for students aged 10 – 14 years old, who wish to study at an International or Secondary school within Singapore. The course runs for four hours a day, five days a week. Students are eligible for a student pass through the British Council. New students can join the course every Monday.
SMART English Junior in brief
SMART English Junior will help students use functional English on a daily basis, as well as prepare them for the academic experience of studying at an International or Secondary school within Singapore. There are two levels available, A and B, and students will be advised on the appropriate level to join during placement testing.
The course will:
- raise English levels through a course-book syllabus designed for young teenagers, focusing on listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation
- develop the critical thinking and language skills required for modern life through a regular focus on research projects and collaborative tasks
- teach academic and subject specific English designed to directly support the students in both the IB and the Cambridge school system
- improve exam skills with regular tests, quizzes and practice exam sessions
- build confidence through the use of English in a variety of real life situations.
The course uses a modern, course book series exploring relevant and motivating content for young adults. Our experienced and highly qualified teachers will also organise and coordinate project work to ensure the students expand their world knowledge, and develop the academic and life skills required for study at secondary level. The students also receive regular exam practice and training in preparation for their school entrance exams, and are given guidance on ways to consolidate their learning outside of class.
How will the British Council measure my child’s progress?
We assess students’ level at the start of the course to place them in the correct level and identify the key areas for them to focus on during the course. Students progress through level A then level B, thereby reaching a language level which will allow them to sit the entrance exam for either local or international school. Students are regularly assessed through tests, quizzes and mock exams and parents will receive monthly progress reports from the teacher.
How do I register my child?
A British Council administered placement test is required to ensure your child is at the appropriate level for this course. This can be conducted overseas or here at our Napier Road Centre.