Lancaster University has a worldwide reputation for excellence in teaching and research in language testing and assessment. We offer a range of postgraduate degrees.
1. Specialised language testing programmes offered part-time and online so that you can study alongside work and personal commitments:
- MA in Language Testing (distance, two years)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Language Testing (distance, one year)
These programmes aim to meet the needs of professionals who have responsibilities for language testing and evaluation at institutional, regional or national level. They give you the opportunity to develop a solid grounding in language test design, construction and evaluation. You will gain knowledge and skills to create testing and evaluation policies within your own context that conform to international standards of validity and reliability. On the MA programme, you also develop expertise in research design and complete a dissertation under individual supervision.
2. Doctoral study in language testing, full-time or part-time, at Lancaster or by distance:
- PhD in Linguistics by Research
- PhD in Applied Linguistics by Thesis and Coursework
In our research-intensive department, you will join the Language Testing Research Group and a large community of doctoral students. We offer a stimulating and supportive environment in which to conduct your research and many opportunities to share it.
3. Annual summer school:
- Language Testing at Lancaster
Language Testing at Lancaster is for individuals or teams whose work or personal interests involve them in language test construction and development at the local or national level. The course covers the theory and practice of language test development. Depending on circumstances, the 2021 summer school may be offered online.
The Department of Linguistics and English Language at Lancaster University is ranked 2nd in the UK for Linguistics (The Times Good University Guide 2020) and 12th in the world for Linguistics (QS World University Rankings 2020).