The results are in!
L&D and HR managers identified communication as the number one soft skill. It is crucial for rebuilding trust, fostering collaboration, and maintaining a sense of connection. Clear and empathetic communication helps navigate uncertainties, addresses remote work challenges, and promotes a positive and inclusive work culture.
What are the benefits of interpersonal communication skills?
- People with strong interpersonal skills are better colleagues, team players and leaders. Workplace culture is more collaborative and positive. There is higher team and organizational performance – things get done faster and with less effort, and knowledge is shared more freely and openly.
- People feel safer, feel they belong and matter to the team/organisation. They therefore stay with the organization longer.
- People feel happier, are more positive and less stressed. They are therefore more intrinsically motivated.
- People take more risks and are more creative and innovative.
A good communicator needs to organise and present clear messages; adapt their communication to their audience; use their voice and body language to strengthen their messages; build genuine rapport with those around them; listen empathetically to make others feel valued and understood; and ask questions to create shared understanding. All of these skills are developed on our Interpersonal Communication Skills workshop.
Good communicators also need to:
- engage audiences with compelling stories - check out our Strategic Business Storytelling workshop
- negotiate win-win outcomes - check out our Negotiation Skills workshop
- influence key decision makers - check out our Positive Influencing Skills workshop
- give impromptu speeches - check out our Effective Public Speaking workshop
- deliver confident presentations - check out our Presentation Skills workshop
- demonstrate emotional intelligence - check out our Working with EQ workshop
- manage conflict effectively - check out our Conflict Handling Skills workhop.
Find out more on the objectives and outlines for all our British Council Spoken Communication Skills workshops.